Friday, April 20, 2012

Day of Silence Nails Shhh...

Today marks the 17th annual Day Of  Silence... for those of you who don't know I am part of the LGBT community if I had to give myself a label -I am a Lesbian :)! I have been actively apart of this community for 8 years now. I am in a committed relationship with a FTM Transgender while we cannot legally get married in the state of Florida we can have a Domestic Partnership. We are content with that however we are hoping and working towards legalizing Gay Marriage!

This is a cause near and dear to my heart. Its not only a problem in youth, but society as a whole. If you ask all of my friends I am the most outspoken and strong hearted women they know, but truth be told I was a victim like many in school and at home. Due to the harassment and bullying it tainted my views about myself and others leading me down a horrible spiral into drugs, alcohol and an eating disorder, later resulted in dropping out of school all together. Through my winding path I've come across an amazing group of friends that have helped me through those hard times. I am now 5 years clean and sober and finally getting a grip on eating :) 

The National Day of Silence is a day of action in which students across the country vow to take a form of silence to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools. Founded in 1996, the Day of Silence has become the largest single student-led action towards creating safer schools for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. From the first-ever Day of Silence at the University of Virginia in 1996, to the organizing efforts in over 8,000 middle schools, high schools, colleges and universities across the country in 2008, its textured history reflects its diversity in both numbers and reach. Over the years people have confused the meaning and mission that the Day Of Silence was put into action for to read the TRUTH ABOUT THE Day  Of Silence visit http://www.dayofsilence.org/truth/index.html

My CLOSE and DEAREST friend Heidi (http://diypolish.blogspot.com/) came up with the idea to do a manicure in support of the Day of Silence. I am currently not a student and so to take a Day of Silence as an adult, this is our way of showing support. There are no set in stone colors but there are other organizations that deal with hate and bullying and LGBT suicide which are commonly-- Red, Black, White and Purple.

I hope you enjoy my take on this day and if you or someone you know has questions about the LGBT community or my life please feel free to email me (Contact info)

4 comments: